I’m having a hard time deciding if I should learn Cantonese (the language of quanta’s family) or if I should learn to read Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs (the writing system of my biggest passion, outside of quanta of course). I know that my poor brain is only capable of learning one, but I don’t know how to decide.
So, the pros of learning Cantonese:
- can talk to quanta’s relatives (all of which speak English anyway)
- may get better deals in Chinatown
- helpful if we ever visit Hong Kong (highly unlikely)
- helpful when teaching future children (if any) about their heritage
The pros of learning hieroglyphs:
- can read inscriptions first hand
- can be a form of worship of Isis
- something I have always wanted to do
What is more important, family or faith?