There is always so much going on in the wide world of knitting and embroidery. Here are a few interesting news stories I’ve come across in the past week.
- Wooly Whale – a textile artist in Newfoundland is knitting a 8.5 metre whale as a final project for her textiles degree. It sure sounds a lot nicer than dismembering a real whale!
- Faded Colours – The Daily Mail (I know, I know) shared some pictures from an abandoned Welsh textiles mill. The pictures are beautiful and haunting.
- BristWool – A group of knitters in Bristol recreated their town in yarn. It is fabulous and fun, and from the Daily Mail again. Sorry. 😛
- Old Ladies Stitching – The Sidney Daily News wrote about two sisters and their love of cross stitch. I love the enthusiasm in this article, and the fact that it got nearly everything right.
- Yarn Bombing Controversy – Last Wednesday it was reported that 15 knitted pieces that were part of the Knit on the Corner display were removed by known persons and dropped in a dumpster. Well, it turns out that the festival that Knit on the Corner was associated it, Art on the Corner, had decided they didn’t want the display this year.
- Ryan Gosling and Meryl Streep knit (See video below. I will also admit I’ve never read any of John Green’s books, but I do love his Mental Floss videos.)