Which Stitch do You Stitch?

Last week, one of the British cross stitch magazines posted a message on Facebook asking people which way they made their stitches. Now, I was aware that I made my stitches differently from many of the people I know, but I had no idea that so few people stitch the way I do. So, in an effort to be wholly unscientific, tell me: which way do you make your stitches?

Which stitch do you stitch?

Which stitch do you stitch?

Do you make your stitches like the top row, with the top leg of your X going like this /, or does the top leg of your X go like this \? Please let me know in the poll below.

How do you make your X?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

I’m hoping that the poll shows that I’m not that unusual. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This entry was posted in Cross Stitch and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Which Stitch do You Stitch?

1. I actually stitch from right to left, in a sewing method .

2. Paula says:

I think the “Canadian” way is the top as that is how I was taught and how my best friend (who is Canadian) stitched them, but I have never seen anyone else, anywhere else do it that way. Now it is SUCH a habit and it looks great, so I keep on doing it! Paula – http://www.KelmscottDesigns.com

3. Christine says:

oops, I think I clicked on the wrong one. I do my top stitch like \.

4. Annie says:

Might depend on whether you are right or left-handed.

5. Thoeria says:

Interesting…..never actually thought of this ๐Ÿ™‚ I do the bottom one….with the top of my X going \ So which one is your way??

6. Pamela says:

I do it the top way with the top stitch like this / and have always been told my stitches are backwards. According to the poll so far, I’m in the minority.

7. Dima says:

I don’t think it really matters what direction you pick so long as they all go in the same direction. I personally stitch with my top leg going like \

I learned by looking up diagrams online and that’s how they stitched the X. It’s only after looking at blogs and other stitcher’s works that I realized there is another stitching direction.

8. Rachael says:

Now i’m all intrigued as to which way the magazine says most people stitch!

9. Christine says:

I’ve no idea how I picked which direction. I wasn’t taught by anyone, so may have been random. I wonder if there is any correlation between right vs left handedness and top stitch direction.

10. gosiazoltek says:

I also do the reverse crosses ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe it’s because I’m left-handed.

11. Joanne P says:

I stitch the same as the bottom row. I take part in alot of round robins and the majority of our stitchers stitch the same way.

Most of the books and magazines I have seen say to stitch this way which is why I started doing it.

12. Pingback: Maggie and Mildred | Stitching Lotus

13. Zeb A. says:

I stitch like the top row, where the first stitch is placed like so \

I can’t remember if that’s how I was taught but it’s always felt more natural to me.

Would love to know which way is the most “common” way.

14. Pingback: Running Out | Stitching Lotus