Royalty ABC Finished

On Monday afternoon, I put the last few stitches in Jeanette Douglas’ Royalty ABC. It has been a long but enjoyable project. And one which I made lots of changes too. I am absolutely delighted with the finished product. (Click the picture for a slightly larger, but still un-ironed, version.)

Royalty ABC from Jeanette Douglas

It was stitched using the called for fibres (a combination of Rainbow Gallery Splendor, NPI, Soie d’Alger, Bijoux and Gloriana silk), on hand-dyed fabric from Enchanting Lair in the colourway Heritage. (If you haven’t tried her fabric yet, I highly recommend you give it a go. Her colours are fabulous!)

I did make several changes to the design, as I mentioned. The most noticeable, perhaps, is leaving out row 15, which was three over-one crosses. Instead, I moved up row 23, a satin stitch pattern, in order to keep the spacing more or less even.

On row 10, I added some beads to the middle crown:

Royalty ABC - row 10

I also added beads to row 20.

Royalty ABC - row 23

And on row 31, I left out both of the over-one crowns on the side, and the date in the middle of the heart. Instead, I added the crown charm to the heart. (It is included in the floss pack because it is intended for the box, which I am not going to stitch.) I added the date to the final box, with my name.

Royalty ABC - row 31

My other big omission on this design is row 19, which was a series of diamonds made out of Queen stitches. I seriously dislike Queen stitches. I didn’t replace that row with anything, since I think the spacing looked fine.

Overall, I think this is a stunning design, and I am really looking forward to finishing it into a bell pull. I have the finishing kit, which includes the bellpull hardware, and the leaflet has very detailed instructions. Hopefully, I’ll make some time to finish it up in the next few weeks.

This entry was posted in Cross Stitch and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Royalty ABC Finished