Back at the end of June I mentioned that I was going to knit myself a pair of Turkish Bed Socks, partly because I wanted to try the new and interesting construction.
(Sorry for the bad picture. The camera had a lot of trouble with the really dark yarn.)
The pattern was interesting, but having to do mattress stitch after the heel and then casting-on and picking up more stitches before working down the foot was… well, a pain. Trying to do mattress stitch while riding the train was impossible.
The resulting sock does fit well (better than other anklets I’ve made), but I still feel the pattern is just too fiddly. And, I prefer fingering-weight yarn knit at a tighter gauge. Unfortunately, it would take too much work to adjust this pattern for a more standard sock gauge.
As for the yarn, I used Knit Picks Comfy Fingering in Blackberry, a very dark purple. I’ve used it before, both in fingering weight and worsted, and I do like it. However, I know that at this loose gauge these socks won’t last long. Still, they are cute and will keep my toes warm at bedtime, at least for a little while.