It is funny how the month of December seems to fly by. First it is Christmas cards that need to be mailed and decorations that need to go up, then it is get-togethers, and before you know it is the big day. Then there are the after Christmas sales and finally we say good-bye to the old year. But, as Ferris Bueller says:
Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
With the end of the year and the end of the decade (depending on which school of thought you belong too) around the corner, I’ve had that quote in my head quite a bit. (Okay, I’ll confess, I recently heard it again in an episode of Good Eats, and it really did strike a chord with me). So, in the reflection kind of mood, I came across a meme on Melissa’s blog The Daily Mel. She got The Final Week of 2009 Meme from the Sunday Stealing blog. And, I figured, it is the perfect meme for me to do today.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I tried some new knitting techniques, learned to crochet, and tried to be a good mom to a toddler. All new things for me this year.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I’ll talk about this over the next couple of days. But, in a nut shell, I did pretty good on my 2009 goals and I have some planned for 2010.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
I will be staying at home with my husband, a shrimp ring and a good movie. Baby Man will be sound asleep in the next room.I’m not really a fan of big parties, and we have a family get-together early on New Year’s Day.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
We didn’t travel this year. Baby Man isn’t quite ready for that.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Well, I suppose I could say world peace and an end to hunger, but that is a given, right? I would like to have more patience and more sleep.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
That would be Baby Man’s first birthday.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I’m not really sure. Maybe knitting an entire sweater jacket. I never expected to be able to do that. (Gosh, that sounds a little sad, doesn’t it?)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing my temper so often and not reaching my goal weight because I got lazy.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, everyone was pretty healthy this year. Baby Man did have roseola.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I think that I would have to say pre-ordering the Gaian Tarot deck. And, actually, my husband bought that for me as my Christmas gift. I have to wait until March to get it though. 🙁
12. Where did most of your money go?
Food and housing. Okay, beyond that it went to yarn and cross stitch stash. Yikes.
13. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I’m not sure. Maybe something from Glee like Last Name or Gold Digger. (Yes, seriously.)
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Losing weight and teaching Baby Man things.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complaining and buying things I don’t need.
16. What was your favourite TV program?
Glee, Ugly Betty and Good Eats.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
18. What was the best book you read?
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Glee? Yeah, I don’t listen to a lot of music beyond our local classical radio station.
20. What was your favorite film of this year?
We only went to see one movie, so I guess I would have to say Star Trek. And it was a pretty good movie. Much, much better than I expected.
21. What did you do on your birthday?
Dinner and a movie with my husband while my parents watched Baby Man. He also bought me a great purple leather jacket.
22. What kept you sane?
Knitting, crocheting and cross stitch.
23. Who did you miss?
The people who have moved away (Chris & Jane, Haun & Mey) and my grandparents (who all died many years ago).
24. Who was the best new person you met?
I haven’t met too many people this year, but I would have to say a couple of neighbours from down the hall.
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Sometimes you have to do things even if you don’t want to, but it really does make you a better person. Oh, and your parents are right when they say you will understand things better when you are a parent yourself.