This past weekend I hauled out my sewing machine for one of my sewing binges. The goal was to get caught up on the Craftsy Quilt Block of the Month class. I had fallen dreadfully behind, with six blocks to make and two more (those darn paper piecing hexi blocks) to fix. One broken sewing machine needle and several silly mistakes later, and I’ve got a bunch more blocks for my sampler quilt.
This block and the one below are from April. I had originally sewn them to broadcloth rather than black quilting cotton. Once I got over that horror, I decided to cheat and use a heat activated permanent fabric glue to attach them to the proper fabric. Well, when I dug them out over the weekend, I discovered that the glue wasn’t as permanent as the label claims. So, I took them off their background and sewed them down on yet another square of quilting cotton (the broadcloth has been hidden away to make sure another mistake doesn’t happen).
The colour is really off on these. The prints are much brighter in actuality.
Next, I tackled June’s blocks, which are variations on the nine patch. I used half square triangles again, and I still like doing them.
I did have a bit of trouble sewing together the octagon block. :/ I shared the picture here on Twitter.
July’s blocks were Dresden plates, which turned out to be easier than I expected.
Hmmm, well, the circle in the centre of this one didn’t turn out very well…
That’s much better!
And, lastly, August is all about stars! First, the classic Ohio Star block, which makes use of quarter square triangles:
And then the more complicated Double Star, which uses Flying Geese. They were also much easier than I expected. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to line up my seams very well. None the less, I think it looks pretty nice for my first attempt.
Next month is curved piecing, which I’m a bit worried about. But, so far all of the instructions for the class have been excellent, so I’m sure I manage to figure it out just fine.